Tuesday 17 May 2016


SUMMER CHAINS

So we've had a glimse of summer and the toes are coming out people!! This means I've started thinking about sandals and what I will be investing in this summer. For this I decided to go back to the SS16 catwalks and take a little look to remind myself of what caught my eye all those months ago.


Louis Vuitton        Burberry
Alexander Wang

The bold, industrial look of these really got me thinking when I first saw them. There is something very masculine about this style and I feel it is saying something about the modern woman. By choosing such a look we are putting our foot down (literally) and warning people we will not be quiet, we will not be pretty little ladies, no, we will be strong independent women and pity anyone who gets in our way. Apologies if that seems a little strong for a sandal but I think everything we wear and, or choose not to wear in fact is saying something about us and giving people an insight into our personalities. So if these designer versions take your fancy but you don't have the budget to match take a look below at what I found available on the highstreet.


(from left to right-top to bottom)
1. Flying Multi Chain Sandals  Topshop  £52.00
2. Flat Studded Sandals  Zara  £39.99
3. Flat Sandals with Chain Detail  Zara  £29.99
4. Sandal  H&M  £24.99
5. Forefront Chunky Flat Sandals  ASOS  £35.00

As you can see here you don't have to go as chunky as those seen on the catwalk, although I love how similar the pair from ASOS (bottom-right) are to the Louis Vuitton pair. The Zara chain detail sandals though (centre-left) are a much subtler way of getting your message across. I would love to see all these sandals styled with black outfits and you could even juxtaposition the heavy sandals with a softer look up top. I think a black lace slip would work well with these, this would allow you to be bold but still hold on to a little bit of femininity, and the fact you have chosen to do this is putting all the control in your hands. I would always add a heavy jacket, like a leather biker or a bomber if your going to for a simple slip dress to balance the look out.  


1. Minny Chain-Detail Leather Sandals  KG by Kurt Geiger  £99.00
2. Milan Snake-Effect Flatform Sandals  Office  £30.00
3. Zora Leather Sandals  Pedro Garcia @ Selfridges  £275.00
4. Nu Pied Fringed Sandals  Saint Laurent  @ Selfridges  £470.00
5. Athossita 30 Studded Leather Sandals  Christian Louboutin @ Net-A-Porter  £795.00

If budget is on your side then check some of these more pricey options out. I love the fringed Saint Laurent pair (bottom-left) and I think I would be styling these up with an edgy festival look with denim shorts and a graphic tee. The Kurt Geiger pair (top-left) have a slightly beachy feel with the espadrille style base on them. I would love to see these dressed up with a floaty black dress and a large straw hat.  The Pedro Garcia pair (center-left) I think would work best with a monochrome look with a black and white printed dress and a bold necklace to balance the look out. 



1. Leather Sandals  H&M  £29.99
2. Eyelet Block Heel Mules  Next  £34.00
3. Maisy Black Gladiator Flat Sandals  KG by Kurt Geiger  £79.00
4. Flower Studded Sandal  Topshop  £49.00
5. Two Band Sandals  Next  £16.00

If you're not a fan of the heavy soled sandal and want something slightly softer but still giving a nod to the catwalk then have a look at these. The gladiator sandal stays in style year after year so if you invest in a good pair now you won't regret it. The two here are both excellent options with a lace up style that has also been seen all over the catwalks. I would style these with a laid back casual look of shorts and a shirt with a black straw hat (see previous post for hats). I love the mules from Next and have had them on my wishlist since first setting eyes on them. I would style them with girlfriend jeans and a smart black top for an everyday smart look. The pair I actually went for is the sliders from Next (bottom-right). At only £16.00 they are the comfiest pair of sandals I have honestly ever worn. They don't necessarily completely capture the essence of those seen on the catwalk but they do have the chunky black bands to give your look some weight. If you like this style but don't fancy black go have a look as they come in a few different colours too.  

So it's up to you how loud you want your feet to shout and how much you want to scare the men in your path, I promise I'll leave the feminism at the door next time! Just remember what ever it is you are wearing you are saying something and that my friends is the power of fashion. 

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment