Wednesday 15 June 2016


FRAYED DENIM 

Denim is big this season and not just any denim, frayed denim. Whether it's a pair of jeans you're after, shorts, a skirt, tops or accessories, all have been given the raw hem detail. Yes, you can do it yourselves but I for one would rather leave it up to the experts and get the real deal. So I've had a look at what's available on the high street and have my pick of the best to share with you. If you're not sure how to wear the trend then check out my outfit ideas below too. 



(from left to right-top to bottom)
1. Relax Fit Mid-Rise Jeans  Zara  £29.99
2. Slouchy Jeans  Zara  £29.99
3. Frayed Denim Culottes  Zara  £25.99
4. Cropped Frayed Hem Jean  River Island @ ASOS  £42.00
5. Regular Waist Skinny Fit Jeans with Frayed Hem  Bershka  £29.99

In my opinion the best place to go for frayed hems right now is Zara. They have so many different pieces on offer and it's also where I got my own jeans from. I went for the Slouchy Jeans (top-centre), and they are so very comfortable. I had to size down because they come up big but apart from that they are perfect and exactly what I was looking for. I have seen a lot of people wearing the River Island pair which I also love but they are that bit more expensive than those others available. 



Hat  FandF Clothing (see previous post)
Top 1  New Look (old)
Top 2  Matalan (old)
Bandana  New Look  
Jeans  Zara  (see above)
Espadrilles  Marks & Spencer  (see previous post)

I went with my faithful hat as it seems I do everyday at the moment, see previous 'New Purchases' post for all the details. I layered up some cami tops to give a bit of depth to my outfit and went with my leather jacket as the weather is shocking (again) at the moment. I wanted to stay neutral with my shoes so went for my espadrilles from Marks & Spencer. I can't get enough of these shoes at the moment and love the lace up detailing with the frayed hems of the jeans. The bandana around my wrist is just to add another little bit of interest without complicating the colour scheme. 


1. Frayed Shorts  Zara  £19.99
2. Denim Shorts with Distressing and Frayed Hems  Honey Punch @ ASOS  £31.00
3. Denim Bermuda Shorts  Zara  £22.99
4. Light Acid Wash Frayed Denim Shorts  River Island  £28.00

I was very conscious here to not just pick shorts that only the very confident of us would wear or in fact the very young. You don't have to be a teenager or a size 6 to wear denim shorts this summer. The Bermuda shorts shown here available from Zara are a perfect option if you don'y like to go too short. If you want the look to stay young my advice would be to go for either a lace up sandal or a flat-form and keep the top loose and tucked in. If you do want to go for short shorts then the festival style available from ASOS are gorgeous with the pocket detailing. 


1. Blue Fray Hem Denim Skirt  New Look  £13.49 (was £17.99)
2. Raw Hem Denim Skirt  First & I @ ASOS  £22.00
3. Frayed Hem Denim Skirt  Boohoo @ ASOS  £18.00
4. Frayed Hem Denim Mini Skirt  Pull&Bear @ ASOS  £17.99

If you don't want to jump in at the deep in with the trend then this skirt from New Look is a perfect option and even better it's in the sale. My favourite here is the Pull & Bear skirt with the slightly washed denim look to it. In my opinion the raw hem detailing looks best either kept simple with fresh white tops or you can go a little bit girly. Try not to play around too much with colour though, the hems themselves are drawing a lot of attention so you don't want to clutter the look. An all white/cream embroidered blouse with some lace up Chloe style sandals (see Mango.com) would be a perfect everyday outfit for the summer. 


1. Blue Denim Fray Trim Sling Back Sandals  New Look  £12.99
2. Bisou Oversized Frayed Denim Shirt  Supertrash @ ASOS  £75.00
3. Denim Patch Shopper Bag  Topshop  £29.00
4. Blue Denim Frayed Hem Top  River Island  £25.00
5. V-Neck Frayed Denim Crop Top  Missguided @ ASOS  £20.00

I really love the oversized shirt here available from ASOS, and would be tempted to wear it more as a jacket than a shirt. I would style it with pretty midi dresses as an alternative to a denim jacket. It will also serve you well throughout the seasons so will be a real investment piece. I think the frayed edges trend works really well with the double denim look. By keeping the tones of denim similar you will add that extra punch but won't distract from the frayed edges and raw hems. 

Outfit 1 

1. Sunglasses  H&M  £6.99
2. Frayed Denim Top  &OtherStories  £45.00
3. Straw Clutch  Mango  £8.99
4. Skinny Cropped Fringed Jeans  Mango  £39.99
5. Destructured Leather Sandals  Mango  £24.99 (was 39.99)

I've kept the clothes simple with double denim but gone for crisp white on the top here and used the accessories to add a little bit of summer. I love these Mules from Mango and really wish I had got myself the H&M ones when I originally saw them. These are just as good and go perfectly with the bag also available from Mango. 

Outfit 2

1. Stripe Off The Shoulder Top  ASOS  £32.00
2. Bow Choker Necklace  ASOS  £5.00
3. Mid Wash Denim Buttoned Mini Skirt  River Island  £15.00 (was £30.00)
4. Leather Boot-Style Sandals  Zara  £59.99

Chokers are another big trend at the moment and look great with off-the-shoulder tops. They are inexpensive and can really add something to an otherwise casual outfit. This one is from ASOS but they are available all over the high street. Or if you're feeling clever a simple visit to a haberdashery shop can get you one for not too much money at all. All you need is to get your hands on some velvet cord and within seconds you have you're very own handmade choker. I've kept the colours muted here to let the frayed hems and the poppers do the talking. I love this skirt, only £15!!!, with the Zara shoes and would imagine that being real leather the shoes are super comfy. 

Outfit 3

1. Platform Sandals  H&M  £24.99
2. Denim Shorts  H&M  £19.99
3. Large Earrings  H&M  £6.99
4. Embroidered Linen Off The Shoulder Top  Zara  £25.99
5. Straw Bag  H&M  £14.99

This look is all about the accessories and I think it would work because I've kept the colours muted with each piece having something going on seperately. The shorts available from H&M come in 4 different denim wash options so if this one isn't for you go check them out. The embroidered top from Zara is a perfect example of girly elegance to pair with the frayed hem trend. Like the accessories it has something going on but is saying it quietly and letting the shorts do all the talking. 

Hopefully I've talked you into getting yourself some raw hems and with so many different options available it's hard to say no. Keep your eyes on my instagram for more of my frayed edge outfits and who knows I might even have talked myself into a skirt too! 

xx








No comments:

Post a Comment