Thursday 28 April 2016


THE POWER OF RED

Apologies first of all, I haven't managed to get on here for a couple of weeks. Mum life got a little bit busy and then thankfully my saving grace was that I got to go away for a long weekend with my girlfriends for a Hen do. I'm back now, and I would say I'm feeling refreshed but it's more like hungover to be honest. So to lift my mood I thought I'd talk power colours. I've wanted to do a post on RED for a while now, I personally love it and it is definitely my power colour. It can pick my mood up on a gloomy day, give me a little bit of confidence and can simply make me smile. Everyone will have their own power colour but if you haven't found yours yet, give red a go and let me know what you think. Here is my pick of the high street for all different budgets, bodies and occasions. 


(left to right - top to bottom)
1. Plunge Neck Pencil Dress  ASOS  £40.00
2. Almu Red Lace Up Heeled Shoes  Public Desire  £29.99
3. Long Chiffon Dress  H&M  £49.99
4. Wide Leg Palazzo Trousers  Topshop  £55.00
5. Ruby Woo Matte Lipstick  MAC  £15.50
6. Off-The-Shoulder Jumpsuit  Zara  £49.99

If it's an event you have to go to then red will definitely have you standing out from the crowd. I love a red lip to start with and the only lipstick I wear in this colour is MAC Ruby Woo. It has a vivid matte finish with a blue-red colour and stays put on me all night long, if you haven't tried it yet then my advice is to give it a go. The jumpsuit from Zara is gorgeous and is a power outfit in every sense with the ruffle and the beautiful bright red fabric. I would style this with simple black barely there heels and a smart black clutch bag. The palazzo trousers from Topshop would be great to dress up or down with a white tee and a denim jacket and flats. The dresses show how you can be bold but still stay body confident. For mummies out there who aren't so sure about body-con dresses the Chiffon dress from H&M would be an amazing option to flatter all shapes and sizes. The pencil dress from ASOS is a sexy number for those of you who are body confident. I would stick with simple black accessories with both to let the dress do the talking. 


1. Converse All Star Hi Trainers  Office @ Topshop  £47.99
2. Flat Top Cat Eye Sunglasses  ASOS  £12.00
3. Zip Ankle Skimmer Jeans  Boden  £35.40
4. Cross-Body Bag with Scarf Detail  Zara  £29.99 
5. MOTO Red Denim Mini Skirt  Topshop  £29.00

If it's a more basic look you're after Converses are always a good idea and can be worn with everything and anything. Cat eye sunglasses will flatter most face shapes and are another easy way to introduce a little bit of red into any outfit. These would look great with a black chiffon maxi dress and to really go all out match them with red lips. Anyone that follows my instagram will know I love my red handbag and this one from Zara is just as fab. I love that it has the scarf detail on it and the gold detailing makes it look much more expensive than it is. The denim skirt from Topshop is on my wishlist, although I am torn between the red and the pink at the moment. I would style this with my trainers (surprise, surprise) I know it's predictable but for an easy mummy friendly outfit, trainers are always perfect. I would also style it with graphic tees and chunky cardigans. 


1. Floral Bomber Jacket  Denim & Supply By Ralph Lauren @ ASOS  £145.00
2. 06 Deep Red  Maybelline Superstay Nail Varnish @ Boots  £4.49
3. Off The Shoulder Mini Dress  ASOS  £15.00
4. Leather Platform Slides  Zara  £39.99
5. Embroidered Denim Shorts  H&M  £19.99

I'm obsessed by the festival vibes in the shops at the moment, particularly those pieces that can give you the look but you don't have to actually wear to a festival. As much as I would love to be going to them all this summer, we have a house to furnish so maybe next year! There's nothing to stop me looking around the furniture shops in my super stylish Zara sliders though. The Ralph Lauren bomber jacket is a headliner and would be perfect with a basic outfit. I would also be tempted to do some print clashing and style it with stripes and florals. The off-the-shoulder dress from ASOS is bang on trend and at such a great price it's hard to say no. I would go with layered up jewellery and biker boots to really give the festival edge. The shorts from H&M are another steal at only £19.99, these will be perfect in the summer dressed up with tassels and lace up sandals. My favourite nail colour is red, always has been and always will be. My thoughts are that red nails go with everything and are perfect through out the seasons. I always use Maybelline Super stay in Deep Red 06 and find that it lasts a good 7 days on me, which is good when you think how many times a day I'm washing up, changing nappies etc etc. 


1. Jersey Pleated Wide Leg Trousers  ASOS  £28.00
2. Fine Knit Boxy Crew Jumper  Topshop  £25.00
3. Mini Skirt  Zara  £25.99
4. Occasion Cropped Blazer Co-Ord  ASOS  £45.00
5. Wide Shorts  H&M  £7.99

My red jumper has been a staple of my wardrobe over winter and thanks to the great British weather is still going strong in my wardrobe now. Mine was from Mango last year but this one from Topshop is very similar and a great price. Check out my instagram to see what I've been styling mine with. Most days that I wear it I'm usually feeling a bit low and use it as a little pick me up, I know it won't make sense to everyone but whatever gets you through the day right!? The pleated trousers from ASOS are another item that is bang on trend at the moment with the pleats and looks great as styled here with the striped top. The skirt from Zara looks just as good with the blue and white stripes, this use of pattern tones the red down enough for all day wear. The cropped blazer is a super power piece and would give attitude to an outfit of basics or look amazing with the co-ord trousers with a white tee and trainers. The shorts from H&M are just £7.99 and will see you through the summer. They also have tops, dresses and shirts available in this print to mix and match. I would love to see the shorts paired with the coordinating top and black espadrilles. This is all depending on some good weather coming our way soon though. 

If your budget is slightly bigger or like me you just like to keep your lust list up to date. Take a look below at the designer items I wish I could take home with me...


1. Leather Trimmed Platform Sandals  Miu Miu @ Net -A-Porter  £700.00
2. Lynton Asymmetric Wool and Silk-Blend Midi Skirt  Acne Studios  £470.00
3. Peekaboo Medium Whipstitched Leather Tote  Fendi @ Net-A-Porter  £2,890.00
4. Printed Slub Cotton Jacket  House of Holland @ Net-A-Porter  £510.00
5. Toerless 100mm Suede Pumps  Christian Louboutin @ Matches Fashion  £625.00

So with payday just around the corner why not treat yourself to a touch of red. Whatever your budget, get yourself out there in a power colour and conquer the world, one look at a time. 

xx









No comments:

Post a Comment