Monday 7 March 2016

SLIP ON, SLIP DRESS

Slip dresses are back and the trend is only getting bigger and bigger after we saw them on the catwalks at Calvin Klein, Chloe and Burberry. So I wanted to show you how to mix them up a little bit for day and night looks. The key is layers, especially at this time of the year with the cold still lingering. I've styled up some of my favourite Slip dresses available now on the high street as well as including the best of the rest. 

Look 1

ATLAS Leather Fringe Boots: ASOS  £48.50
Yellow Shoulder Bag:  H&M  £29.99
MOTO Oversized Denim Jacket: Topshop  £45.00
Rollneck: Topshop  £16.00
Animal Print Slip Dress:  Topshop  £32.00

Look 1 is perfect for everyday wear and trips out at the weekend. The Animal Print on the slip dress from Topshop gives the trend an edgy feel, so with this is mind I have gone for accessories to suit this style. The boots are from ASOS and have eyelet detailing on them which is huge right now for SS16 as well as the fringe detail which is equally hot right now. With the weather as unpredictable as it can be even mid August here I would definitely recommend these boots for wear throughout the rainy days come summer. The strong pattern on the dress means the layering needs to be kept simple and a tight roll neck is perfect for this. I have gone for grey to keep the colour muted so as not to distract from the dresses pattern which is the main aspect of the look. A denim jacket is a perfect throw on when you want to keep things simple but with denim as big as it is right now you'll still be ticking all the boxes. I would roll the sleeves up a couple of times to add a little more shape. The yellow bag I think is perfect colouring for this outfit to add a little bit of fun. As we know I can't get enough of yellow at the moment (see previous blog post) and this little suede cross the body bag from H&M's premium collection is fab. 

Look 2


Adidas Superstar Burgundy:  Office  £66.99
White Roll up Tshirt:  Topshop  £12.00
Backpack:  Zara  £35.99
Flowing Trench: Zara  £59.99
Dress: Zara  £25.99

Look 2 I would wear day to day when I want to feel a little bit dressed up but still be able to complete all my mum duties! The dress from Zara is a beautiful slinky, slightly sparkly number which could also be worn with nude heels and a statement clutch for a night out. But for day time I have chosen a flowing trench coat. I think this one from Zara is beautiful and would go with so many other things. If you wanted to add a bit of shape to it, a waist belt would work perfectly. Or try doing the same thing but with a scarf tied around it instead of a belt. I've the kept the layering simple withe a bright white t-shirt, this is another staple for every wardrobe. My trick is when I find the perfect one, buy 2, because it's only a matter of time before you stain one of them! The bag I have kept simple and a similar colour to the coat but the fact that it is a backpack means it is bang on trend right now and perfect for the summer. The shoes are where I have added a bit of colour. Burgundy is one of my favourite colours for accessories. I have just got some new converses in this colour but I do love these Adidas superstars in suede too. As they are a darker colour, the trick is to balance your look. With such a heavy colour on your feet you need something going on, on top, which with this outfit is the dress and tee combo and by then adding the loose fitting jacket you are balancing the look even more. 

Look 3


Mesh Insert V Neck Cami Top:  ASOS  £18.00
Quilted Bomber Jacket:  Zara  £39.99
NINETY Strappy Sandals:  Topshop  £49.00 
Floral Camisole Dress:  Zara  £29.99

Look 3 I love for a night out to a gig or drinks in town. But you could always swap the heels for converse and wear it during the day. I think this dress is the most versatile and something that you will wear year after year. Word of warning though...it does keep selling out on Zara.com but keep looking because I've seen it come back into stock twice already. I'm after it myself so I'll let you know! The layers used with the first 2 dresses could both be worn with this dress. For a more dressed up look this time I've styled it with a strappy cami underneath. The pink picks up on the girly colours seen in the dress but to give balance and make sure it doesn't become too girly I've added a khaki bomber jacket. Another useful piece that will go with everything you own right now. To compliment the look I chose some strappy sandals in a delicate pastel pink. These ones are from Topshop and are a really good price, plus with all the straps I think they would be super comfy on a night out. I like them because as much I love pink I don't ever like to be too girly so I think these are just right and I definitely have them on my wishlist for the summer. I would also style them with ripped jeans and the cami top shown here. 

Here's a few more options of Slip dresses available on the high street;


(From left to right)
Pinstripe Slip Dress:  Topshop  £36.00
Lace Applique Dress: Mango  £35.99
Rust Brown Lace Slip Dress: River Island  £38.00
Lace Trim Dress (black): Mango  £35.99
Flowy Dress (blue): Mango £39.99
Lace Applique Dress (red): Mango  £25.99

(Images via Pinterest)

Finally I found these images on pinterest and wanted to share because I really love how they have layered with jeans and knitwear, making the slip dress even more versatile and perfect for this time of year. I also think the Zara dress I featured above would look great styled with a check shirt round the waist and chunky boots as seen here. So ladies the Slip dress doesn't have to be girly and just because its shiny, it doesn't have to be saved exclusively for nights out. Shop your wardrobe and layer up some summer pieces with winter pieces. Let me know what you think....

xx





No comments:

Post a Comment