Thursday 4 February 2016


BOMBER JACKETS SS16

The Bomber Jacket is the must have cover up the season and was seen all over the catwalks at the SS16 shows. They are versatile, easy wearers that can be thrown on over anything to give a basic outfit a nod to high fashion. I have chosen my favourites from the highstreet and also had a look at the runways to see where the trend all started.  


                                                    Marc Jacobs      Tommy Hilfiger            Fendi

Gucci 

Here's my pick from the Runways, my personal favourites were those on offer from Gucci but I personally loved their entire collection so I feel I may be a little biased on that one. For them it was all about bright colours and floral patterns with soft silk fabrics and the iconic stripes added to the band of the jackets. Marc Jacobs went a little more classic with a simpler padded jacket and added pins and patches. They went for a preppy vibe on the outfit with bright colours and check patterns. Tommy Hilfiger stayed with Gucci's silky feel fabric and kept the colours fresh. I love the one shown above, in my opinion this is exactly what Spring is about with the light blue colour against the bright yellow and red. They kept there fabrics light and silky again whereas Fendi went with a leather look which would work well for transitional style at the moment and has a much darker edge to it. 

So here's my pick of the highstreet...

If you like to stand out and want to go for a bold printed version like me then take a look below at what I have found. I can't decide between the Zara ones and the H&M one (top row). I'm really not great at making decisions, especially when it comes to clothes. My first decision to make is whether to go for an oversized, looser jacket or a more fitted one. As you can see from the catwalk images (above) Marc Jacobs went for the oversized version and I feel this really works to give a juxtaposition on the preppy style of the outfit underneath. An oversized jacket would also work well teamed with skinny or straight fitted trousers/jeans and would give this kind of look some extra shape and interest. Whereas if you go with a more fitted, cropped bomber jacket you can easily wear it with skirts and dresses like the looks shown (above) by Gucci and Tommy Hilfiger, without losing your shape. In fact its a really easy way to give yourself a waistline if you wear your skirt on the same line as the bottom of the jacket. Also try this with highwaisted culottes or trousers.

Zara   H&M   Zara
Marks & Spencer   New Look

After trawling the internet I was really disappointed I couldn't find a patterned jacket in brighter colours. It seems this is where the highstreet have tamed the trend. The different prints on the H&M version I do really love though and the fabric of this one is really soft and slightly padded. I am normally a size 8 in H&M but with this one I would go for a size 6, as even this was oversized on me. The Marks & Spencer jacket above is a really light silky fabric and at the moment would definitely need an extra cover up on top for extra warmth. 

Zara   H&M
Topshop    Marks & Spencer    Topshop

If its a plain silky look bomber jacket you're after they're are lots of colours to choose from. The classic is the dark khaki colour and this is available all over the highstreet. This one from Zara (above) is the one that I have and is a really great quality. I haven't worn it much yet but I think now its starting to look a little bit more like spring outside I may bring it out and style it up. By going for a plainer jacket you can go basic with your outfit with jeans and plain tees or add in some floral patterns if you want to soften the look. The light pink colour (above) I think would work really well with ripped jeans and heeled sandals for a girly look. Or worn over an all black outfit with skinny ankle length jeans and chunky heeled boots would have some of the edge shown on the Fendi runway. The black jacket from Marks & Spencer is the best one to go for if you're not sure on the trend but want to give it a go, the black will go with everything and the textured fabric means it can be worn with heavier fabrics or lighter fabrics underneath and will always give a balance. It has also just gone to sale, so no reason not too really!

Zara

This Zara one could be straight off the Marc Jacobs runway with its added pins and patches. I tried it on the other day and although not for me I do really like the fun aspect to it. It would work really well at the moment over straight fit ripped jeans, a red knit and converses and to take it right through to the summer I would say bring out the yellow with tees or trainers (see previous post). To be honest the more I look at it now,the more I like it so watch the space. I may change my mind on it if I can't make a decision on a floral version. 

So if you haven't already got one my advice for SS16 would be; buy a bomber jacket! It will honestly not let you down and will become this years star throw on.

Let me know what you think,

xx






No comments:

Post a Comment