Friday 19 February 2016


NEW SEASON DENIM

Lets talk denim! The catwalk went crazy for it and the high street have done us proud making the hottest looks affordable for us mere mortals. Gone are the days where denim meant a boring pair of jeans, it has gone supercharged for SS16 with embroidery, patch work and ruffles. I have put together my pick of the highstreet as well as my designer lust list.

Below is where is it all started on the runways, Alexander McQueen went for full on embroidery and I have to say this my favourite denim look. The detail and the tailoring on the jacket is just out of this world. The Off-White show saw frayed edges on big impact maxi skirts perfectly paired with white tees to balance the look. Stella McCartney went for a darker wash denim with stitch detailing and simple lines. Fendi also went with a darker denim and had a fab 2 piece. I'm after a cropped jacket just like the one shown below. I think it would be a perfect throw on over a smart outfit for all day style and is not your usual denim jacket. Finally Saint Laurent had the ultimate patchwork oversized jacket. I love how it was styled over a lace dress, I thought the different textures really worked against each other, with the lace giving the denim a slightly softer edge. (all images below)

Off-White     Alexander McQueen     Each x Other

                                                  Stella McCartney      Saint Laurent              Fendi

If you're not quite ready for full on denim you can still stick with a pair of jeans, but try a pair with a bit of a difference. Gap is a lot of peoples go to place for denim, they do so many different fits, styles and sizes and I think cater for all age groups. The pair of jeans below are a relaxed, vintage style girlfriend fit with embroidery added to them. The colours are kept muted so this is a great place to start with the Alexander McQueen style. These jeans would be such an easy wear, worn with plain tees or a loose fit shirt. The patchwork pair from Marks & Spencer go for a different look but could be worn in the same way. They have a cinched in waist at the back and I would go with these at the moment with a tucked in black roll neck and patent black boots. The boots (below) are another way to try the denim trend without having to go all out. You could wear these boots dressed up or down and they would look great with a double denim look if you did want to turn heads. 

Boots: River Island £90.00  Jeans: Marks & Spencer £45.00
Jeans: Gap £54.95

Culottes: Zara £19.99  Shirt: Goldie @ Topshop £38.00  Denim Jacket: Topshop Boutique £55.00
Denim Jacket: Glamorous @ ASOS £44.00  Shirt: Zara £29.99 

I can't get enough of embroidered denim so this denim jacket available from ASOS I think is fab and looks great styled here with the red. I would also style it with the same wash jeans and keep the colours muted with a light blue tee and trainers. Or you could definitely throw it over a black dress for a glam night out. The Topshop Boutique denim jacket (above) would also work with similar outfits and could be worn throughout Spring and Summer. Every wardrobe needs a denim shirt and I have found a couple of options here that will work year after year. An oversized shirt is a fab buy and is great for days you don't have time to think about your outfit too much. This one from Zara could be worn with black now for when the weathers not too bright and could be worn in the summer as a jacket over a summers dress. I personally love this wash of denim paired with yellow! The Topshop shirt is a little bit different and could be tucked into a leather skirt or worn with some relaxed jeans and the gold glove shoe (see previous post). Culottes are not going anywhere anytime soon so investing in a denim pair is highly recommended. This pair are a fab buy at only £19.99 and are on my wish list. 


Slip on trainers; H&M £29.99  Dungarees: H&M £39.99  Jumpsuit: ASOS £48.00
2 Piece: Topshop £90.00  Sliders: Topshop £46.00

My favourite colour to pair with denim as boring as it sounds is white. I think the most classic way to wear a fab pair of jeans is with a good quality white tee, you cant go wrong with that. Another way to go for white is with your shoes, the (above) pair of slip on trainers from H&M are going to be huge and are a slight tribute to Calvin Kleins SS16 collection. The leather sliders from Topshop may be a little too summery for just now but I would say if you like them buy them now, I have a feeling they are going to be a sell out. They also come in black but I really love the freshness of the white and can imagine these with midi skirts and denim shorts and a tan in the summer. The dungarees (above) is on my wishlist for next month. My most worn item of clothing of last year must have been my black dungarees, also from H&M, they wash well, go with everything and are great for days running around with a toddler. So I've been thinking it's time I get myself another pair, I have wanted some for a while and have been looking for some with a slightly different shape to my black pair. This one is an ankle grazer length with a kick flare shape to it so perfect for SS16 and will look great worn over stripes or for colder days over a chunky knit. The denim jumpsuit is another one that's great as a mum uniform but doesn't have to scream, look at me, I got no sleep last night and I have yoghurt in my hair. Its durable and easy to dress up or down and is straight off the catwalk this season.

Dress: Glamorous @ ASOS £33.00  Ruffle dress: Lost Ink @ ASOS £40.00  Skirt: ASOS £28.00
Ruffle Skirt: ASOS £28.00  Denim Dress: Topshop £40.00   Dress: House of Holland @ ASOS £230.00

Denim skirts and dresses come in every season and can be worn in so many different ways. As this season is all about something a bit different I have chosen some options here that have elements of the catwalk but you'll have no problem doing the school run in them.  Another embroidered option first, I love this dress and especially love the loose cut of it and the fact it has long sleeves. It could be worn now with tights and snake print boots and with sandals in the summer. The ruffle dress and the Topshop tie dress could also be great transitional pieces and as these are more classic denim you can pull them out year after year. I would use both of them as jackets as well as dresses and wear them over a pretty dusty pink outfit or with all black or nude for a more dressy look with heels. The House of Holland dress is straight off the catwalk and although a little pricey it is pretty amazing. I love the frayed edges and detailing on the chest. The length is perfect for everyday wear and I would love to style it with those H&M slip on trainers for a really laid back look (see above). 


Creatures of Comfort Outfit  Denim dress: MM6 by Maison Margiela £415.00  Shirt: Stella McCartney £420.00
Shoes: Saint Laurent £390.00

Here's my lust list, all a little out of my price range but a girl can dream. I love the Creatures of Comfort outfit, I especially like the cut of the jeans. Crop jeans are huge right now and the flare is even bigger. I think I'll go with the Zara pair for now, not the same but definitely similar in their style. The Topshop 2 piece (see above) is also a close comparison to this look, both with the pinstripe throughout. The denim dress I love because of the shape, an A-line dress you can hide underneath is a must for any season and this one from MM6 by Maison Margiela is the perfect length and has just enough detail with the collar and zip detail on the oversized pocket. The shirt by Stella McCartney is just fab for Spring with its floral embroidery and I'm still having a love affair with yellow so love this shirts fresh feel. The Saint Laurent shoes are a classic court shoe with a difference and could be worn with so much, maybe not quite enough for me to justify the price but gorgeous all the same. 

So if your in the shops this weekend, my advice, go for denim, from head to toe or just a little, but make sure its just a little bit different and get ready to turn heads. Let me know what you think. 

xx








No comments:

Post a Comment