Wednesday 6 July 2016


GINGHAM FOR SS16

Love it or hate it, gingham is everywhere right now. I don't know how I held back on the trend for so long to be honest, especially as now I have dived in I have gone in at the deep end. All of a sudden I can't get enough of it and love how versatile it is to dress up or down. I've trawled the high street in search of all the best bits on offer and wanted to share with you how I've been styling my new bits up and where I get my inspiration. 


(from left to right-top to bottom)
1. Pleated Culottes in Gingham Check  ASOS  £10.50 (was £15.00)
2. Check Cottom Shirt / Shorts  Mango  £14.99 (was £29.99) / £12.99 (was £25.99)
3. Structured Midi Dress in Gingham Print  ASOS  £45.00
4. Patchwork Check Print Scarf  Zara  £7.99 (was £17.99)

I have the shorts and shirt set shown here from Mango and it has not dissapointed. I have found the shorts so comfortable to wear and the lightweight fabric is perfect for the muggy conditions we have been enduring recently. I bought the items with the idea of wearing them together but because of bad weather I've only managaed them so far as separates, take a look below at how I have been styling them up. I love the scarf from Zara and it's a real bargain in the sale at the moment too. I would chuck it on with a basic white tee and jeans and it would see you through all seasons so for only £7.99 you can't really go wrong. I do love the ASOS dress as well and would love to see this with fresh trainers and a denim jacket. The cut on this dress would flatter most body shapes and the length I think would suit all ages. 



So here is how I have been wearing my shirt and shorts so far. I'm not going to lie the shirt came straight out the packaging and went on that day (thank goodness for early deliveries). I wore it with my choker from ASOS, Topshop dark wash Jamie jeans and my Mango sliders (see previous post). The shorts I decided to pair with my lace up blouse (see previous post), and went with my Mango sliders again. I love how comfortable this look was and easy to wear but still giving the appearance that I made an effort. All hail loose fit clothing, a mummies best friend!


1. Check Shirt Dress  Mango  £17.99 (was £35.99)
2. Check Trousers  Mango  £17.99 (was £35.99)
3. Gingham Jacket  See by Chloe @ ASOS  £180.00 (was £480.00)
4. Jemima Ballet Tie Leg Espadrilles  ASOS  £12.00
5. Pure Cotton Gingham Checked Camisole Top  Marks & Spencer  £16.00 (was £25.00)

The shoes here from ASOS I have on my wishlist and will probably be coming my way before the end of the week. They are a great way to inject a bit of the gingham trend into other outfits and update key pieces in your wardrobe, the lace up detailing is also bang on trend for SS16. I can't not talk about the See by Chloe jacket available at ASOS. I still can't believe the price and think this would become a favourite when the weather begins to change. The detailing on the cuffs I love and the length would flatter all body shapes especially if worn with culottes or wide leg cropped trousers. 


1. Black Gingham Check Bardot Neck Shirt  Influence @ New Look  £17.99
2. Check Pattern Blouse  Mango  £14.99  (was £29.99)
3. Gingham Sleeveless Top / Crop Trousers  Dorothy Perkins  £25.00 / £22.50
4. White Gingham Tipped Sundress  Dorothy Perkins  £15.00 (was £20.00)
5. Gingham Check Shirt  ASOS  £25.00

I love the simplicity of the blouse from Mango and it has a slightly smarter feel to it than the button up shirts on offer. I spotted this one on the fab @amothersedit who has been styling it up recently with a casual vibe, going for trainers and denim cut offs. Co-ords are huge right now and this one from Dorothy Perkins would be so versatile and could be worn in so many ways. Seperately I would style the trousers with a white tee and black choker and go for a denim skirt with the top. 


1. Classic Short Sleeve Shirtdress in Gingham  J.Crew  £118.00
2. Gingham Off The Shoulder Dress  Warehouse  £49.00
3. Gingham Wrap Skirt  Warehouse  £39.00
4. Ruffled Dress in Gingham  J.Crew  £69.50
5. Gingham Floral Midi Dress Off the Shoulder Neckline  Horrockses @ ASOS £125.00

If you're after the trend for a summer event then look no further than the midi dress here from ASOS. It has 1950's written all over it and this is exactly where the gingham trend feels most at home. Take inspiration from Grace Kelly and Liz Taylor and go all out glamour with this one. The red floral pattern that has been used means you can go for bright red lipstick, my suggestion - MAC Ruby Woo, and wear with round-toe heels. If you like to stand out then this is a must for anything you have coming up over the summer.


1. Gingham Blouse  Zara  £25.99  
2. Gingham Bonded Mini Skirt  Topshop  £15.00 (was £35.00)
3. Check Print Dress  Zara  £12.99 (was £25.99)
4. Gingham Cigarette Trousers  Topshop  £39.00
5. Pure Cotton Gingham Checked Shirt  Marks & Spencer  £18.00 (was £29.50)

The cigarette trousers here I love, these ones are Topshop but I have seen this style and pattern all over the high street recently. Marks and Spencers had a fab pair in their Archive by Alexa collection which look like they are sold out now online but it's always worth checking in store. I would keep the rest of the outfit simple with these and go for a black vest top and pumps to let the trousers do all the talking and keep it ladylike with more of that 1950's feel. I love the bib detailing on the shirt from Marks and Spencers, be quick on this one though as it's selling out fast at this price. The Zara dress is another piece I have been wearing and is again so comfortable. I wanted something I could chuck on, on busy days when I don't have time for seperates (mummy life) and this dress is just perfect for such days. Plus it is a loose fit and a good length which is always good when you're running around after a toddler. It came up true to size on me and I went for Small, have a look below at how I styled it up.


For more inspiration on how to style gingham take a look below and see how it's being done street style....


(images via pinterest)

I love the layering of the dress with a white tee and this could be done with so many of my high street picks above. The midi skirt seen above from warehouse would also look fab dressed up as seen here with a straw hat and sandals. But for that effortlessly chic look why not stay basic and go with trusty denim cut offs and smart accessories. There is something out there for every shape, size and budget so don't let gingham pass you by. I've stuck with monochrome because it's my personal favourite for the trend but if you fancy something a little more colourful the same rules still apply.

xx
















No comments:

Post a Comment